We have a family tradition (that started 7 years ago when Nick and I had our first Christmas together) – a Christmas quiz that we send to family all over the world. The idea being that whoever is with them for Christmas will join in round the table and then we get to speak with family members as they phone in the results.
Please find the quiz below – should you wish to join in. Answers below – no cheating! Let us know how you got on!
We wish you a wonderful day!
By the way the winner sets the questions the following year so these are curtesy of my step dad Jim!
1) the Bing Crosby song White Christmas originally came from which 1942 film?
2) which year was the first Band Aid ‘do they know it’s Christmas’ song made?
3) who is Aladdin’s mum ? (Oh no it isn’t !)
4) the season before Easter is known as Lent….but what is the season before Christmas known as?
5) Boxing Day is also known as which Saints feast day? Is it
St Mark…St Nicholas or St Stephen?
6) who composed the music for the Nutcracker?
7) Christmas Island is the territory of which country?
8) What colour underwear do Mexicans wear on New Years Eve to bring good luck for the coming year?
9) What are traditionally the names of the Three Kings/Wise Men/Magi who brought gifts to the baby Jesus ? ….a point for each name and a bonus point if you know the ‘fourth kings name’ in literature.
10) in which country (the world’s seventh largest) is Christmas known as Bada Din or ‘Big Day’?
11) what year was the film ‘Zulu’ released?
12) Father Christmas’ home in the North Pole is in which Ocean?
13) St Nicholas’ birthplace is in which country?
Turkey, Germany or Russia
14) Nadolig Llawen is Merry Christmas in which Western European language?
15) which year was the first King’s Speech broadcast by radio?
16) In the 1946 film ‘It’s a wonderful life’ what is the name of George Bailey’s guardian angel?
17) What was the occupation of the inventor of the Christmas Cracker?
Butcher, Baker or Lawyer?
18) Viscum Album is the technical name for…. Mistletoe , Holly or Poinsettia ?
19) In the carol ‘ the twelve days of Christmas’ how many pipers were piping?
Bonus point to anyone who can sing the whole carol without looking up the words (performance must be videod )
20) The famous song ‘O Christmas Tree’ was originally sung in which language? (Bonus point for knowing which socialist song is set to the same tune).
Scroll down for answers…
1. Holiday Inn
3. Widow Twankey (oh yes it is!)
5. St Stephen
9. Melchior, Caspar, and Balthazar (One Point for each) And a bonus point for ‘Artaban’ the fourth king in Henry van Dyke’s book in 1895.
10. India……bonus point for actually being in India!
11. 1964……they had a ‘premiere’ showing earlier this year to mark the fiftieth anniversary.
12. The Arctic Ocean
14. Danish …………Naaaaa Only joking..It’s Welsh…
20. German (O Tannenbaum)…….and ‘the Red Flag’ is the socialist song for a last bonus.